The Archive was created on foot of the Royal Order of 25 June 1850, ordering the creation of a general archive of the Ministry of Finance (Legislative Collection of Spain, p. 352) to compile the documentation generated by the central services of the Department within the framework of the reorganisation of the Public Finances. Since then it has been located in the Royal Customs House and General Revenue Offices on Madrid's Calle Alcalá, the traditional headquarters of the Ministry of Finance.
The Civil War (1936-1939) saw the destruction of much of the collection of documents from the 19th century and early 20th century. From 1944, the recovery and organisation of the Archive begins. The 1960s see the start of transfer of the historic collection to the National Historic Archive and, subsequently, to the General Government Archive.
The Central Archive currently manages documents that would stretch 39 kilometres in a straight line, or approximately 278,000 boxes and over 14,000 archive volumes, serving as an essential source of references for the study of Public Finance from the 2nd half of the 20th century to date.
Through the website of the Ministry and the Electronic Office you can access:
The Central Archive provides the following services to units and office archives of the Ministry:
- Technical advice for the correct conservation and treatment of the documents
- Document transfer management
- Administrative loan of files to production offices
- Processing of authorised disposal of documents.
- Document assessment processes for processing requests to the Higher Commission for Classification of Administrative Documents for removal or conservation rulings
- Consultancy services for Electronic Administration relating to documents, files and archives
Citizen services are:
- Information on documentary funds.
- Search and consult documents.
- Reproduction of documents.
- Issue of certificates and authentic copies of documents.
Archive contact details
c/ Alcalá, 9 - Planta Baja. 28071-Madrid
Telephone: 91 595
Public opening hours: de 9:00 a 14:30 Monday to Friday
How to get there:
Sol (líneas 1, 2 y 3)
Rail: communes train lines, Sol station
Bus: lines 3, 5, 15, 51, 150