In Spain, the Structural Funds and the Cohesion Fund are coordinated and allocated by the Ministry of Finance, through the
Directorate-General of European Funds, within the State Secretariat for Budgets and Expenditure. This Directorate-General has carries out the following functions and competences:
- Analysis, monitoring and evaluation of financial flows to the European Union and link to the European Union for budget issues.
- Negotiating with the European Commission on matters related to the Structural Funds and the Cohesion Fund.
- Coordination and cooperation with regional administrations in issues related to programming, monitoring, evaluation and control of the Structural Funds and the Cohesion Fund, as well as coordination of the different Ministries responsible for managing these funds.
- Preparing reports and coordinating the evaluation of programs funded by the UE Structural Funds.
- Proposal of payment to final beneficiaries of the European Regional Development Fund and the Cohesion Fund.
- Verification and proposal of the corrective measures in order to ensure the correct functioning of the management and control system of each operational programme of European Regional Development Fund and the Cohesion Fund.
- Programming, selection and monitoring of operations to be funded by resources from the European Union Solidarity Fund, the Financial Instrument of the European Economic Area and the Teruel Investment Fund.